Ryan is software engineer with 5 years experience as a Python developer who is passionate about data visualization and analysis. He has worked across the stack as a learner and a leader in open source and enterprise. His most valued skills are those that allow him to communicate big ideas and advocate for change.
Software Engineer • Amazon Quantum Computing • Aug 2021 - Nov 2022
An engineer working on a lean team focused on delivering software to researchers that would allow them to run and analyze data from experiments. Worked across the stack to deliver features and deploy cloud infrastructure that aided in this effort.
Software Engineer II • 23andMe • May 2020 - Aug 2021
A seasoned member of a now growing Feature Engineering team tasked with developing a broader system and set of services that reduce the time it takes for scientists to turn their experiments into verified, trustworthy, and valuable user-facing model features.
Software Engineer I • 23andMe • Jul 2019 - May 2020
One of the first hires for a new Feature Engineering team working to develop in house tooling to improve workflows and pipelines for researchers and data scientists across the company.
- Principle team member developing a library for defining features at 23andMe
- Delivered the library and several core model features ahead of schedule
- Made comprehensize docs and tests that are loved by users, and devs alike
Software Engineer • Cisco • Jul 2018 - Jul 2019
Brought onto Cisco's Engineering Licensing team as the first hire on a new project intended to serve Cisco's licensing needs for its present and future cloud products.
- Delivered to 3 product teams including Cisco's new DNA Center.
- Re-engineered Cisco's Smart Licensing for Python and the cloud.
- Designed goals and deadlines for long term projects.
- Screened, interviewed, recommended, and trained new hires.
Platforms Engineer • Primer AI • Nov 2017 - Apr 2018
Part of a growing team of engineers tasked with supporting data scientists developing machine learning solutions to text based problems.
- Added backend REST API features and expanded test coverage.
- Built and deployed simple micro service using Python and Flask.
- Learned React on the job to aide in developing frontend components.
- Introduced teams to Jupyter as a tool for reproducible and shareable science.
"His knowledge of the inner workings of Python are easily some of the best I’ve seen... he is also one of the most genuine and cooperative people I have had the pleasure of working with."
Alvin Yates - Former Manager
23andMentor • 23andMe • Jul 2020 - Sep 2020
Participated in 23andMe's mentoship pilot program. Taught a collegue with minimal coding experience to code in Python through 1-2 hour weekly sessions. The curiculum was relatively unstructured and primarilly guided by the mentee's curiosities and interests. By the end of the program the mentee was able to:
- Write Python scripts to solve basic algorithms questions
- Reach out to other colleagues to find ways to apply her newfound skills
GSOC Mentor • Matplotlib • Jun 2017 - Sep 2017
- Reviewed the student's code
- Introduced them to Git and GitHub as tools for collaboration
- Organized and enforced regular meetings to display daily progress.
IDOM - React, but in Python
Traitlets - IPython and Jupyter
Traitlets is a pure Python library for enforcing strong typing, observing changes to tracked data, and reading configuring values from files or from command line arguments. Traitlets powers the configuration system of IPython and Jupyter and the declarative API of IPython's interactive widgets.